Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lucky Books

I'm sorry to report that my second book-making attempt did not go as hot as the first. The first books we made were so cute and so enjoyable that I figured I couldn't go wrong in making a book with the kids. But, I was wrong. There must be elements to successful book-making with kids that I didn't comply with. I have been trying to figure out what these elements must be. Here's what I've decided thus far:
the subject of the book must be something the kids are interested in.

I'm pretty sure that's where my attempt today failed. You see, I thought it would be so adorable to make books that chronicled why each of us felt to be a lucky person. I gave the kids a few brilliant examples like: "Mama is SO lucky because she has 3 amazing little boys to love!"and "Mama feels lucky to have been able to go to college" and "Mama is lucky to have a husband who works so hard so she can stay home and do fun stuff with her kids" and I drew some really awesome illustrations to accompany these statements (please read that with a heavy amount of sarcasm as my talent for art is at a bare minimum, if not completely non-existant). 

Although my example of a book was gorgeous (don't forget the sarcasm), the kids turned up their noses at it, if you can imagine. I tried, with many words, to get them excited, but they would not be swayed. So I coerced them with much bribery to make a "Lucky Book" of their own. Unfortunately, the kids had related the word "lucky" as synonymous with "grateful for" and couldn't really ever get past it. Besides that, they were both stuck on I'm-not-taking-this-seriously mode resulting in "lucky books" that read something like this: "X is lucky because I get to do good things and more good things" and "because I have 2 pots and also lots of pots!" Thanks for that. 

Oh well. I tried.



P.S. don't mind the weaponry--my kids have recently discovered Lego's Ninjago TV series and toys and are, for the lack of a better word, obsessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment