Saturday, January 28, 2012

Baking Cookies


Some days you just have to bake cookies. There's nothing as happy as baking cookies in my humble opinion. So, every so often, ok, like once a week (at least), I let one of the boys pick a type of cookie and we get mixing. Today, one of my sons saw a picture of peanut butter cookies with Hershey's kisses smooshed into them in my cookbook and was emphatic about duplicating them. Lucky for him, I just so happened to have Hershey's kisses on hand. So we whipped them up. But I'd like to say, that I really DO consider this to be a preschool activity, because I truly believe a lot of learning goes on when you bake. Yes, there is a lot of "I like the way that tastes" learning, but while we're doing that I always try to sneak in a lot of math ideas. For example, if we are measuring something, anything, I bring out all the other measuring cups or spoons and we look at how to achieve the same measurement using an alternate method. The kids actually really enjoy this and have learned to ask questions like, "how many of this little spoon will it take to fill up that big spoon?" So we do it and find out. And in this way, while we're doing a little bit of hands on learning about fractions, I justify my need to make cookie dough and eat it all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment