Monday, February 6, 2012

Heart Pots

Honestly, with all these crafts I've been attempting, I can't remember which ones come from where. Crafts are SO not my forte, as will become obvious to anyone looking at anything I have ever created. My theory about crafts with kids is this: if the kids can't do most of it on their own, then it's not a good craft. Unfortunately, this theory has led to a lot of trial and error for me in the choosing of which crafts we're going to do. We've started many a craft idea, only to decide that it's way too hard for us and scrapped the whole thing. The point is, I've printed out a ton of ideas and tried even more, and morphed 2 or 3 together so often that I'm not really sure who I should give the credit to for some of these ideas. But I know I read somewhere about an idea like this one that ended up working for us.


Here's what we did. On Sunday, we painted 4" pots with acrylic paints in valentine's day-ish colors. On Monday, when they were dry, we filled them up with "sweet soil" aka heart-shaped candies (and some Hershey's kisses). We stuck heart-shaped foam stickers to the ends of wood craft sticks and planted our "flowers of love" anywhere the kids liked them best. We curled sparkly green pipe cleaners around our fingers and added them to the pots as foliage. The end.

I consider these heart pots to be a great success because, as I mentioned, any craft the kids can do mostly by themselves is a success to me. The only thing I think I had to help with was the pipe cleaners. Pretty dang good! Not to mention the fact that we have a new funny joke @ our house that goes like this:
          Kid: "Hey mom, can I eat some of that yummy dirt from my pot?"
          Me: "Sure. You go eat some of that yummy dirt!" 
and then we laugh and laugh and laugh some more 'cause we think we are SO funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment