Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Ugly Wreath

Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. This wreath idea was more of a "don't." Well, as far as looks go. Ok, it's pretty hideous. But we DID have a fun time making it/them. Sadly, I can't blame anyone but myself, because this ugly wreath is what happens when you leave me to come up with an idea all on my own. I just needed a pattern or a picture to follow or something.

But hey, I'm trying to look at the positives here. And well, there aren't many, but it really WAS fun to make. So I'm sticking with that one.

Here's what we did. We each got a 6" paper plate and cut out the middle. I mixed up some school glue with some water and cut up tissue paper into small squares. Then the kids painted the glue onto the remaining circle that was their paper plate. We attached the tissue paper squares to the glue wherever and however we liked them. Honestly, if I had left the wreaths at this point, it probably would have all turned out pretty good.  But no, I had this silly idea of putting stickers on over the tissue paper layer. So we waited all morning for the glue to dry and by mid-afternoon I sat the kids back up to the table to put on stickers. We had some foam stickers left over from our "heart pot" activity, and some other cheap stickers that I just let the kids go to town with. When we were done, I had three very ugly, far to gaudy, overly colorful "wreaths" to try and figure out how to hang up. I thought I'd hang them in a row on a big ribbon. It sounded like something Martha Stewart would do. But don't worry, however Martha would do it is apparently not how I did it because mine ended up entirely ridiculous. My boys, with their collective artistic eye insisted what it needed was "bows," like the kind you put on a birthday present. So the poor creation went from bad to worser. I had to put my foot down when the kids suggested hanging some of their dinosaurs from the bottom of the ribbon, as though that, in any way, would make things improve. Or even fit in. Poor us.

So that was our attempt at a wreath(s). It will probably be a few years, at the least, before I gain back sufficient courage to try another.

With good reason.

Obviously.

1 comment:

  1. I like the wreaths, even if they are ugly! We did this exact same activity last week. Paper plates, watered down glue, tissue paper and all! We'll definitely be throwing ours away after Valentine's Day, but making it was the fun part. (We haven't even hung ours up!) Love that you're channeling Martha. Happy Heart Day!

    ReplyDelete